Gordon E. Harper (Harpo) – North Steyne SLSC
Gordon joined North Steyne SLSC in 1951 where he then went on to gain his Bronze Medallion in 1952 receiving medallion no. 41610. Gordon was affectionately known as “Harpo” and was recognised throughout the whole association for his dedication and ability as a gear steward, a role he held from 1952 to 1954. In 1954 he then transferred to Manly LSC. Gordon would continue to be involved in his club, serving as the Board and Ski captain in 1955 and the assistant gear steward from 1955 to 1956 and again in 1963 to 1965, Gear steward in 1958. Gordon joined the Board of Examiners when the “Manly Warringah” Branch was formed in 1960 – 61 and was involved in competition as a offical, officiating at a state and national level, gear inspection and examination panels as part of the Manly Warringah branch. George has also served as trainer and examiner for both his club from 1957 (trainer) and 1961 (assessor) and his branch from 1961 to 1973 as an assessor. In 1982 Gordon was honoured with SNB Life Membership for all his hard work in lifesaving.
He will always be remembered for his continuous commitment to the Sydney Branch and Newcastle Branch also. In 1981 Gordon then joined the Point Danger Branch in Queensland where he continued his involvement at all levels of the association until his passing. Gordon was also awarded the 25 Year National Patrol Service Award for all his hard work and commitment. Gordon was an exceptional man and will be missed very much by the Surf Life Saving Sydney Northern Beaches Community.
Further achievements and information about Gordon:
- 19/10/1951 Joined North Steyne SLSC
- 17/02/1952 Bronze Medallion No. 41610
- 1952 – 1954 Gear Steward Nth Steyne SLSC
- 12/09/1954 Transferred to Manly Life Saving Club
- 02/09/1955 Board and Ski Captain Manly LSC
- 02/09/1955-56 Assistant Gear Steward Manly LSC
- 26/01/1957 Instructors Cert.
- 14/07/1958 Gear Steward Manly LSC
- 05/01/1961 Examiners Cert.
- 08/09/1963-65 Assistant Gear Steward Manly LSC
- 08/09/1963 Granted Active Reserve Status
- 02/10/1974 A.R.C
- 15/06/1979 I.R.B. Crewman Cert.
- 05/01/1961 Joined M-W Board of Examiner’
- 1961 – 1962 M-W Branch Gear Steward
- 1961 – 1973 M-W Bronze Medallion Examiner.
- 1961 – 1973 M-W Branch Carnival Water Events Marshal
- 1961 – 1973 NSW State Championships Water Events Marshal and Judge
- 1961 – 1973 NSW State Championships Judge in Boat and Boat Judge
- 1968 – 1973 NSW State Surf Belt Inspector
- 1963 – 1964 SLSA Championships Cap/Costume Marshal
- 1964 – 1965 SLSA Championships Judge in Boat Official
- 1966 – 1967 SLSA Championships Judge in Boat Official
- 1971 – 1972 SLSA Championships Beach Events Judge
- 1974 – 1975 SLSA Championships Judge in Boat Official
- 1977 – 1978 SLSA Championships Telephone/Recording Steward.
Gordon was awarded SNB Life Membership in 1982.
Gordon passed away on the 13th of November, 1998. He was aged 67.