The 2022 Australian of the Year Nominations are currently open and it’s time for you to nominate someone you admire.
Nominations close at midnight 31 July 2021. Nominations received after this date will be considered for Australian of the Year 2023.
Each year our nation celebrates the achievements and contributions of eminent Australians through the Australian of the Year Awards by profiling leading citizens who are role models for us all. They inspire us through their achievements and challenge us to make our own contribution to creating a better Australia.
The Australian of the Year Awards provides everyone with the opportunity to recognise any Australian who makes them proud. The four Australian of the Year categories are:
- • Australian of the Year
- • Senior Australian of the Year (those aged 65 years or over)
- • Young Australian of the Year (ages 16 to 30)
- • Australia’s Local Hero
The Awards operate at two levels – State/Territory and National.
Please consider the following selection criteria should you wish to nominate a person for the Australian of the Year Awards:
- • Significant contribution to the Australian community and nation
- • An inspirational role model for the Australian community
- • Demonstrated excellence in their field
- • The Local Hero award acknowledges a significant contribution at local community level
- • In choosing the recipients of the Australian of the Year Awards, regard is given to the nominee’s achievements in the year immediately prior to receiving the award, as well as their past achievements and ongoing contribution to the Australian community and nation
- • An individual need only be nominated once to be considered – the number of nominations received per nominee bears no weight in their selection
For further information, including tips for nominating, and to nominate an individual, please visit https://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/nominate/
Should you have any questions in relation to the Awards or nomination process, you can contact the National Australia Day Council either by phone on (02) 6120-0600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.