Surf Survival Certificate (SSC)
The Surf Survival Certificate (SSC) course covers content extracted from the Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) Bronze Medallion Course and learning materials. This course is targeted at school students as part of the individual State Health and Physical Education programs.
The New South Wales Department of Education and Training stipulates that students wishing to participate in any school surfing programs must achieve at least the Surf Survival Certificate as a standard of proficiency.
Minimum of 12 years of age on the date of the final assessment. Complete a 150 metres swim in a swimming pool of not less than 25 metres without stopping using freestyle or breaststroke style. Complete a two (2) minute survival float.
This program aims to
- Educate participants in the basics of surfing safety to reduce the risks in the aquatic environment, and
- Enhance recreational opportunities for students
- Extends participant’s ideas and experiences about aquatic safety concepts
- Extends participant’s knowledge and understanding of safe beach and aquatic environments
- Extends participant’s knowledge and understanding of surf survival skills in aquatic environments
- Develops and extends participant’s knowledge and understanding of the basic first aid, resuscitation and rescue skills
Key Learning Outcomes
- Describe beach sense practices
- Describe surfing and environmental conditions and hazards
- Identify basic patient management techniques
- Perform basic resuscitation techniques
- Perform resuscitation (CPR) techniques – Candidates 15yrs and over
- Perform surf skills
- Perform SLSA signals
- Identify persons in distress in a surfing or aquatic environment
- Perform patient approaches, support and escapes aided by equipment on an unconscious/conscious patient
- Describe the purpose of patrols and patrolling
- Demonstrate a knowledge of patrols
Participants must satisfy the assessors in respect to their competence in all learning outcomes by –
- Written/Oral Examination
- Rescue Scenario Simulation
2 day program (12 hours total) or a 10 week program to fit in with school sport days and the needs of participants.
On any one of the beaches from Freshwater to Palm Beach
What to bring?
- Rash Vest/Sun Protection
- 2 Towels
- Pen or Pencil
Participation Numbers & Costs
Contact Mechelle – email@example.com